Submissions are now closed
Artists Reception June 7th 2013 5:30PM - Visit the Essex Community Farmers Market and then the Gallery!
Juror: Chris Verene
Say cheese! Capture the characters that make your family truly one-of a-kind.
Images of the intimate moments between your most familiar familiars. The random snapshots of your kin's kooky happenings. These are the people who know you best, use this thread of familiarity that binds you for artistic creation and freedom. This exhibit is aimed to be a celebration of the many definitions of family; how the societal constructs defining family are ever evolving and changing. You know that old
|Exhibit Calendar (subject to change)|
|Submissions Close||27-Apr-13 Midnight EST|
|Juror' Choices Announced||by 30-Apr-13|
|On-Line Check-in Due||13-May-13|
|Work Receipt Deadline||27-May-13|
|Artists Reception||7-June-13 5:50-7:30
saying, "You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family." We are looking to choose your unchosen!
- All selected entries are exhibited in our gallery and included in a full color exhibit catalog.
- Juror's Choice receives a 30x48" vinyl exhibit banner featuring their image, free entry into a future exhibition and a free exhibition catalog.
- Honorable Mentions receive free exhibition catalogs and free entry in a future exhibition.
- People's Choice gains free entry into a future exhibit.
- We offer free matting and framing of accepted entries for the duration of each of our exhibition, subject to standard sizes. Photographers set their own prices if they wish to sell their work and retain all rights to their photographs.
Juror: Chris Verene
Chris Verene has been photographing three generations of his family, since 1984, in Galesburg, Illinois, a small town in the Midwest. Verene has been called a natural storyteller, focusing on the whole intimate truth of human narratives. Verene's work is in numerous major museum collections, and in 2001, was the first photographer to receive a Pollock-Krasner Fellowship. He has been published in several books, including his 2000 self-titled monograph by Twin Palms Press, and a Phaidon photography history entitled, Theater of the Face, Portrait Photography Since 1900. Verene is also a filmmaker and musician. ARTFORUM praised Verene as "depicting people with a combination of respect and clarity." Last year Verene's work was exhibited at The Tate Modern, The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and The Walker Art Center. His new photography book, "Family," will accompany a traveling solo exhibition throughout the United States in from 2010-2013. Verene is represented by Postmasters Gallery in New York City. Verene lives and works in New York City, and is currently working on stills and a feature documentary motion picture entitled, "The Self-Esteem Salon."