|Following the Artist's Reception on April 11th we are thrilled to have a performance by BrattleboroTeen Band "The Snaz"Learn More about The Snaz.|
EXHIBIT OPENS ON April 3rd, 2014
Artists' Reception scheduled for April 11th, 2014
Darkroom Gallery is excited to hosting our Fourth Annual Vermont High School Student Photography Exhibit. Only current Vermont high school students are eligible. You don't have to be enrolled in a photography course to enter this show. Philip Galiga, Technology Education/Comolli Center for Technology and Arts of South Burlington High School Art teacher, is helping us organize this year's effort.
|Exhibition Calendar |
(subject to change)
|Selections Announced||by 3/12/14|
As photography students and hobbyists we actively dissect pieces of our world through our viewfinders. What we choose to focus on holds a power. We can entice our viewers with a fleeting moment or draw them into a specific corner of the image depending on what we keep in focus versus what we decide to be left out. This technique is not the only way to direct a viewer's attention: a dynamic composition, shapes, repetition, and tonal qualities can also serve. These days, mobile device images and apps for post processing are popular ways of exploring one's visual voice. All archival and digital photographic processes are eligible submissions.
For this year's high school exhibition we want to see how you use focus as a creative tool in your photography. It can be crisp and clean or muddy and soft. What have you chosen to pull into focus?
This exhibition presents a selection of images by students attending Vermont High Schools. Bringing together a collection of individual visual voices, these photographs reveal the excitement of an unfolding future as it celebrates life and its many visible and intangible idiosyncrasies. In Shakespeare's words: “It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves."
Adriana Teresa and Graham Letorney, co-founders
Our normal Submission Rules are modified as follows:
- This exhibit is open to Vermont High School Students only. Please specify your school in the comment field of your entry;
- Until February 12th entry is free! From Feb 13th thru Feb 26rd entry fee: First 4 images/$6.00; From Feb 26th thru Mar 5th entry fee: First 4 images/$12.00.
- Final Deadline is March 5th Midnight
- Each additional image after the first 4 is $5.00.
- You can change your entry images right up till the final deadline.
- Juror's Choice, Honorable Mentions, and People's Choice will each get a free fotovisura account to start building their portfolio
- Juror's Choice receives a 20x35" vinyl exhibit banner featuring their image.
- All selected entries are included in a full color exhibit catalog.
- We depend heavily on email - make sure your registered email address will receive email from us.
- We are assuming most entrants into this competition are minors and are doing so with the permission of your parent or guardian. Entering without permission may result in disqualification.
- It is up to each selected student to produce their own prints. PhotoGarden, is offering a 50% discount on prints for this exhibit only. Print out and bring your selection notification email with you when you you pick up your prints to get the special rate;
- For selected works we do offer free framing and matting for the duration of the exhibition but prints must conform to our standard sizes, or you may provide already framed work.
- Any questions - please initially contact Philip Galiga, before contacting the gallery.
- Photographers set their own prices if they wish to sell their work and retain all rights to their photographs.
We are so pleased the creators of FotoVisura have offered to jury and sponsor the High School exhibit this year! FotoVisura is a creative firm dedicated to publishing, production, design, and online media. Co-founded by Adriana Teresa and Graham Letorney, FotoVisura Inc. produces Visura Magazine, The FotoVisura Pavilion, FotoVisura.com, The FotoVisura Grant, The FotoVisura Panel Discussions, The FotoVisura Portfolio Consultation and Review, The Editing Sessions at the Visura Lodge in Stowe, Vermont, as well as Visura Exchange, a marketplace for photography.
fotovisura inc’s mission is to develop a model that facilitates the career and creative development of student, alumni and emerging art and documentary photographers.
Vee-su´-ra: an examination made by the eye.